Royal Lordship and Ladyship of Barnersburn Middlesex London
Once held by King Richard II
Middlesex It was established in the Anglo-Saxon system from the territory of the Middle Saxons, and existed as an official unit until 1965. The historic county includes land stretching north of the River Thames from 17 miles (27 km) west to 3 miles (5 km) east of the City of London with the rivers Colne and Lea and a ridge of hills as the other boundaries.
The name is a corruption of Bernersbury (1274), being so called after the Berners family: powerful medieval manorial lords who gained ownership of a large part of Islington after the Norman Conquest.
By the end of the 18th century, however, Barnsbury, like other parts of Islington, was being regarded as attractive part-rural suburbs by the comparatively wealthy people wanting to move out of the cramped City of London and industrial Clerkenwell. The area is close to the City, and had strong local trade in its position as the first staging post for travellers making the journey from London to the north, and with considerable agricultural traffic and cattle driving to the nearby famous Smithfield cattle market in the City.
Barnsbury is famous for a church meeting house used by the famous Michael Farady who was an elder of the church in 1862 to Barnsbury Grove,
Michael Faraday famous for the Faraday cage.
Born 1791 – died August 1867)
The Title dates back to 1086 and was recorded in the Doomsday book.
Held by the following:
Hugh de Berners
John de Kingsford
Sir John Bourchier
Sir Thomas Halton